Friday 15 January 2010

Charity Shops and Zero Awesomeness

If i go into uni at the moment it's like a creepy zombie ghost town. The odd tumbleweed blows past, a distant door bangs. Freshers wander around looking bewildered while older students huddle in quivering groups in the caf, the library, and the smoking area. In short, it's exam period, and pretty much everyone's concession to fashion is a slightly different stained hoodie.
Obviously this doesn't give me much to work with in terms of documenting awesome. I'm no better actually; indoor wear is 4 jumpers (we don't really 'do' heating) and a pair of pyjama bottoms. Outside-world clothing is some variation on cardigan+dress+faux-fur coat (the snow may have finally melted, but it's still hella cold and faux-fur keeps me niiice and sweaty in its nylon embrace).

This brings me in now way to charity shops. Did you know their amazingness holds no bounds? No, me either. They were the kind of places I'd go shopping when i was pubescent and 'quirky,' aka 'with no fashion sense.' But actually, actually, I paid them a visit while waiting for a bus recently and... well... did you know they have half-price sales? Again, me neither. But £20 later and I had in my grubby paws a skirt, 3 dresses, 2 blouses, a waistcoat a cardigan and an Indian scarf. Consider that even at Oxfam a dress can cost up to a tenner and you will understand my joy. And they are all very nice, slightly odd things, which is just how I like it:

Teehee it looks like I'm looking up my skirt in the second photo. Pretty much everything I'm wearing in these pics is thrifted/gifted/salvaged/inherited from friends' great aunts, apart from the top under the cardy in the second pic, which is a Gogol Bordello merch tshirt and also the necklace from the same pic, which is Accessorize.
That's me done for now, as I must get back to writing a big fat essay. Hopefully after next week the cool people will start poking their noses out from under their duvets (I'm especially looking at you, third-year insane clothing girl who i usually run into).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! If you want to comment on anything on the blog, put it in here! Also, if you want to send a pic of yourself wearing something awesome and get on ma blog, then please email me via my full profile (it's over there at the side).